By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2004 ssue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Which do you feel is the most cost effective product, the electric hand dryer or the touchless paper towel system?
Supervisor Of Custodial Services
UNT Health Science Center
Fort Worth, TX
A Looking at the total life cycle cost of the two choices, the electric hand dryer would be the most cost-effective selection. The initial cost would be higher, but you would not be having to purchase a supply of paper towels for the life of the unit.
As far as which selection is more sanitary, studies have shown that disposable paper towels rank highest, followed by electric hand dryers. Cloth towels came in last, since multiple users would promote the spread of germs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs