By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2004 ssue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Which do you feel is the most cost effective product, the electric hand dryer or the touchless paper towel system?
Supervisor Of Custodial Services
UNT Health Science Center
Fort Worth, TX
A Looking at the total life cycle cost of the two choices, the electric hand dryer would be the most cost-effective selection. The initial cost would be higher, but you would not be having to purchase a supply of paper towels for the life of the unit.
As far as which selection is more sanitary, studies have shown that disposable paper towels rank highest, followed by electric hand dryers. Cloth towels came in last, since multiple users would promote the spread of germs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades