By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2004 ssue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Which do you feel is the most cost effective product, the electric hand dryer or the touchless paper towel system?
Supervisor Of Custodial Services
UNT Health Science Center
Fort Worth, TX
A Looking at the total life cycle cost of the two choices, the electric hand dryer would be the most cost-effective selection. The initial cost would be higher, but you would not be having to purchase a supply of paper towels for the life of the unit.
As far as which selection is more sanitary, studies have shown that disposable paper towels rank highest, followed by electric hand dryers. Cloth towels came in last, since multiple users would promote the spread of germs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?