By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2005 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find some kind of facility survey that shows staffing levels for departments (maintenance, housekeeping, etc.)?
A IFMA has a publication entitled Benchmarks IV: Research Report #25. This 60-page report provides facility management costs on a per square foot basis for a variety of industry and facility types.
More than 400 facilities participated in the study. The data was collected in 2003 and 2004. The report covers operating costs—housekeeping, maintenance and utilities—along with support costs, project costs, health environment, and safety costs.
In addition, the report contains staffing data for housekeeping and maintenance functions. New areas covered include disaster planning costs and facility management IT costs. All of the FM costs are rolled up and provided on a per employee basis and per square foot basis.
To order this publication, visit www.ifma.org and go to the bookstore. The publication goes by the ID number 157221; it costs $120 (non-IFMA members; $60 for members).
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event