Sustainability practices just got easier for the facility management profession as the International Facility Management Association has announced a collaborative agreement with the Alliance for Sustainable Built Environments to develop and deliver sustainability educational programs, as well as provide research and planning tools. This new partnership will bring sustainability concepts and state of the art practices to a vital division of all business organizations. Currently, more than 18,400 facility management professionals are members of IFMA, managing nearly 23 billion square feet of workspace combined.
For more on TFM‘s coverage of this issue, see “William McDonough: A TFM Show Interview” from the archives.
“Fifty-nine percent of IFMA’s North American members are currently implementing some sustainable practices, often without a plan, and another 17% plan to do so in the next two years,” said David J. Brady, IFMA president and CEO. “The Alliance has become a focal point for green building practices, with the right resources and unparalleled commitment.”
IFMA/Alliance programming and activities will include a number of environmental metrics, including the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) programs, Energy Star, Climate Leaders and others. The Alliance also will take a key role in developing the first dedicated sustainability educational track at IFMA’s annual World Workplace Conference and Expo.
“Facility management professionals have an incredible impact on how their organizations implement high performance, green solutions for their buildings,” said Bill Gregory, director of sustainable strategies for Milliken & Company and a spokesperson for the Alliance. “Since these individuals collectively manage nearly 60 billion square feet of building space in the U.S., getting resources to them, combined with their commitment and experience, will greatly benefit the sustainability movement within the built environment.”
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs