Sustainability practices just got easier for the facility management profession as the International Facility Management Association has announced a collaborative agreement with the Alliance for Sustainable Built Environments to develop and deliver sustainability educational programs, as well as provide research and planning tools. This new partnership will bring sustainability concepts and state of the art practices to a vital division of all business organizations. Currently, more than 18,400 facility management professionals are members of IFMA, managing nearly 23 billion square feet of workspace combined.
For more on TFM‘s coverage of this issue, see “William McDonough: A TFM Show Interview” from the archives.
“Fifty-nine percent of IFMA’s North American members are currently implementing some sustainable practices, often without a plan, and another 17% plan to do so in the next two years,” said David J. Brady, IFMA president and CEO. “The Alliance has become a focal point for green building practices, with the right resources and unparalleled commitment.”
IFMA/Alliance programming and activities will include a number of environmental metrics, including the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) programs, Energy Star, Climate Leaders and others. The Alliance also will take a key role in developing the first dedicated sustainability educational track at IFMA’s annual World Workplace Conference and Expo.
“Facility management professionals have an incredible impact on how their organizations implement high performance, green solutions for their buildings,” said Bill Gregory, director of sustainable strategies for Milliken & Company and a spokesperson for the Alliance. “Since these individuals collectively manage nearly 60 billion square feet of building space in the U.S., getting resources to them, combined with their commitment and experience, will greatly benefit the sustainability movement within the built environment.”
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades