Sustainability practices just got easier for the facility management profession as the International Facility Management Association has announced a collaborative agreement with the Alliance for Sustainable Built Environments to develop and deliver sustainability educational programs, as well as provide research and planning tools. This new partnership will bring sustainability concepts and state of the art practices to a vital division of all business organizations. Currently, more than 18,400 facility management professionals are members of IFMA, managing nearly 23 billion square feet of workspace combined.
For more on TFM‘s coverage of this issue, see “William McDonough: A TFM Show Interview” from the archives.
“Fifty-nine percent of IFMA’s North American members are currently implementing some sustainable practices, often without a plan, and another 17% plan to do so in the next two years,” said David J. Brady, IFMA president and CEO. “The Alliance has become a focal point for green building practices, with the right resources and unparalleled commitment.”
IFMA/Alliance programming and activities will include a number of environmental metrics, including the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) programs, Energy Star, Climate Leaders and others. The Alliance also will take a key role in developing the first dedicated sustainability educational track at IFMA’s annual World Workplace Conference and Expo.
“Facility management professionals have an incredible impact on how their organizations implement high performance, green solutions for their buildings,” said Bill Gregory, director of sustainable strategies for Milliken & Company and a spokesperson for the Alliance. “Since these individuals collectively manage nearly 60 billion square feet of building space in the U.S., getting resources to them, combined with their commitment and experience, will greatly benefit the sustainability movement within the built environment.”
You might like:
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- Trends: Lighting Takes Center Stage
- Friday Funny: The Verdict’s In On Pets At Work
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Physical Security Planning
- Question Of The Week: Design Leads To Tricky Facility Repair?
- JLL Creates Workplace Of The Future At Revamped HQ
- The HVAC Factor: New Life For An Aging Chiller Plant
- Why Governance Is Critical To Successful Outsourcing
- Friday Funny: Take Me (And Your Wallet) Out To The Ballgame
- Friday Funny: Building Face Draws Curb Appeal?
- Clean Energy Finance Tool Awarded At Bloomberg Event
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms