By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am involved in accessing funding for an extremely expensive new facility and need to establish a budget figure for the security system. Where do I start?
Community Economic Regeneration Officer
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
A According to U.S. commercial office building expense categories, security averaged 56¢ per rentable square foot (RSF) in 2004. The Whole Building Design Guide has some very useful resources in determining the types of threats certain types of buildings might be exposed to at any given time. The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) has a publication entitled Are Your Tenants Safe? BOMA’s Guide to Security and Emergency Planning. This resource is available for purchase from BOMA’s Web site. Finally, Johnson Controls has some British office costs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades