Tricks Of The Trade: Water Conservation
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I would like to create a proactive water conservation program for our office, but I don’t know where to start. What advice can you give me on various ways and means of conserving water for the facility?
Assistant Facility Manager
Chennai, Tamilandu (India)
A Here are some starting places for a conservation program.
- Restrooms. Install ultra low flow toilets that require only 1.6 gallons (six liters) per flush. Check existing toilets periodically for leaks (on average, 20% of toilets leak) and repair them promptly. Replace standard urinals with waterless, no-flush urinals. Insulate hot water pipes and electric water heaters. This reduces the time it takes for hot water to reach the tap, saving water and energy. Automatic faucets and flushvalves are other items which come in handy for reducing water waste.
- Breakroom/kitchens. Install tankless, instant, hot water systems. These reduce energy and eliminate the need to keep a tank full of water.
- Landscaping. Consider options that conserve water and protect the environment.
There are seven basic principles which can help save water:
- Planning and design;
- Soil analysis;
- Practical turf areas;
- Appropriate plant selection;
- Efficient irrigation;
- Use of mulches; and
- Appropriate maintenance.
These suggestions might adapt to your program.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New Service Spotlight: Attune Energy Dashboard by E-Mon
- From Where I Sit: RIP Dilbert
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- WEIRD WEDNESDAY: Lost In Space
- FM Issue: Managing Security Services
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions