By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I would like to create a proactive water conservation program for our office, but I don’t know where to start. What advice can you give me on various ways and means of conserving water for the facility?
Assistant Facility Manager
Chennai, Tamilandu (India)
A Here are some starting places for a conservation program.
- Restrooms. Install ultra low flow toilets that require only 1.6 gallons (six liters) per flush. Check existing toilets periodically for leaks (on average, 20% of toilets leak) and repair them promptly. Replace standard urinals with waterless, no-flush urinals. Insulate hot water pipes and electric water heaters. This reduces the time it takes for hot water to reach the tap, saving water and energy. Automatic faucets and flushvalves are other items which come in handy for reducing water waste.
- Breakroom/kitchens. Install tankless, instant, hot water systems. These reduce energy and eliminate the need to keep a tank full of water.
- Landscaping. Consider options that conserve water and protect the environment.
There are seven basic principles which can help save water:
- Planning and design;
- Soil analysis;
- Practical turf areas;
- Appropriate plant selection;
- Efficient irrigation;
- Use of mulches; and
- Appropriate maintenance.
These suggestions might adapt to your program.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts