By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I would like to create a proactive water conservation program for our office, but I don’t know where to start. What advice can you give me on various ways and means of conserving water for the facility?
Assistant Facility Manager
Chennai, Tamilandu (India)
A Here are some starting places for a conservation program.
- Restrooms. Install ultra low flow toilets that require only 1.6 gallons (six liters) per flush. Check existing toilets periodically for leaks (on average, 20% of toilets leak) and repair them promptly. Replace standard urinals with waterless, no-flush urinals. Insulate hot water pipes and electric water heaters. This reduces the time it takes for hot water to reach the tap, saving water and energy. Automatic faucets and flushvalves are other items which come in handy for reducing water waste.
- Breakroom/kitchens. Install tankless, instant, hot water systems. These reduce energy and eliminate the need to keep a tank full of water.
- Landscaping. Consider options that conserve water and protect the environment.
There are seven basic principles which can help save water:
- Planning and design;
- Soil analysis;
- Practical turf areas;
- Appropriate plant selection;
- Efficient irrigation;
- Use of mulches; and
- Appropriate maintenance.
These suggestions might adapt to your program.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?