Tricks Of The Trade: Disaster Planning Coordination
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any sort of resource, organization, or group that unites emergency officials (municipal, state, and federal) with corporate facility professionals? I’m looking for forums where individuals can discuss, plan, implement, and manage local/regional evacuations, shelter-in-place, and shared facilities for emergencies.
A Based on your location, the best resource is Howard County’s Community Emergency Response Network (CERN). CERN’s mission is to facilitate the development of a community based disaster response plan to ensure optimum preparedness in the advent of a terrorist attack or major natural emergency. This program was initiated after the events of 9/11 as a partnership between the Horizon Foundation, the County government, and key community agencies.
CERN supports the county government’s disaster planning through the coordination of the emergency plans and resources of participating members. Functions include disaster and shelter planning, interagency coordination, tabletop exercises, and communications enhancement. See this link.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.