By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the August 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any sort of resource, organization, or group that unites emergency officials (municipal, state, and federal) with corporate facility professionals? I’m looking for forums where individuals can discuss, plan, implement, and manage local/regional evacuations, shelter-in-place, and shared facilities for emergencies.
A Based on your location, the best resource is Howard County’s Community Emergency Response Network (CERN). CERN’s mission is to facilitate the development of a community based disaster response plan to ensure optimum preparedness in the advent of a terrorist attack or major natural emergency. This program was initiated after the events of 9/11 as a partnership between the Horizon Foundation, the County government, and key community agencies.
CERN supports the county government’s disaster planning through the coordination of the emergency plans and resources of participating members. Functions include disaster and shelter planning, interagency coordination, tabletop exercises, and communications enhancement. See this link.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation