By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the October 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I have seen a lot of data concerning the cost savings of outsourcing facilities management and HVAC service staffs. However, this information does not seem to be balanced. It looks like most of the data comes from large real estate management firms that have a vested interest in presenting/selling their case to outsource.
Where can I find positive information concerning a well trained, appropriately paid, and right sized facilities management department? If I don’t overpay and I’m not over staffed, can I still expect big savings? What are some of the best practices that balance in-house/out tasked models, and who is working with them?
A I am also a strong believer in out tasking as needed. For example, the company I work for recently moved to new offices—its first move in 15 years. Because this type of event happens so rarely, I hired an interior design firm to assist in the space planning and preparation of construction drawings. It just doesn’t make sense to have an in-house team for infrequent projects; out tasking was ideal.
But when it comes to outsourcing, there can be a problem when the individual working for the outsourcer has to perform the duties expected while staying within the operational budget (which is usually less, since this is the reason the contract was awarded in the first place). After all, companies outsource to reduce problem areas—such as mail rooms, copy centers, maintenance, janitorial, groundskeeping—not to create profit centers.
For more on unbiased outsourcing best practices, check out The Outsourcing Institute.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention