Tricks Of The Trade: Non-IFMA Benchmarks
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the October 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am trying to track down facilities benchmarks. Because you have expertise in commercial real estate and facilities issues, I was wondering if you would know of a source/organization that might keep this information.
Specifically, I am trying to get commercial averages for:
- Utilized/occupied space as % of total space;
- Common space as % of total space;
- Non-utilized/unoccupied space as % of total space;
- Square feet per employee; and
- Number of moves/add/changes per employee or per year.
I purchased a benchmarking report from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA), but it did not contain the data that I require. I appreciate any help you can provide.
A One of the better resources for space benchmarking is from the GSA—the nation’s largest public real estate organization. The GSA provides workspace for more than 1.2 million federal workers through its Public Buildings Service. Approximately half of the employees are in buildings owned by the federal government and half are located in over 7,386 separate leased properties (including buildings, land, antenna sites, etc.) across the country.You can view GSA reports, studies, and other research online.
You may also want to take a look at some of the reports from Whitestone Research, another good resource of benchmarking data.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices