Tricks Of The Trade: FM Consultants
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Here in Barbados, most companies have what is referred to as an operations manager. As far as professional development goes, is there a difference between an operations manager and a facility manager—especially in terms of consultants?
A In comparing some job titles and descriptions, I can see several areas where the two positions are the same. However, the operations manager generally tends to be more involved in the human resources area, dealing with hiring and compliance with laws regarding workers and protocols.
On the other hand, I have not seen the same responsibilities in a lot of the descriptions for property management, maintenance, and space planning/management.
Based on these conclusions, the services of a facility management consultant would emphasize the relationship of the space to its occupants.
Are there areas that can be improved in building operations to improve the environment of the employees? Can work areas be modified to increase employee productivity or improve morale? Focusing on the built environment and how it serves its occupants would be a primary service.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Facilities Generate Revenue With Frequency Regulation