By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Here in Barbados, most companies have what is referred to as an operations manager. As far as professional development goes, is there a difference between an operations manager and a facility manager—especially in terms of consultants?
A In comparing some job titles and descriptions, I can see several areas where the two positions are the same. However, the operations manager generally tends to be more involved in the human resources area, dealing with hiring and compliance with laws regarding workers and protocols.
On the other hand, I have not seen the same responsibilities in a lot of the descriptions for property management, maintenance, and space planning/management.
Based on these conclusions, the services of a facility management consultant would emphasize the relationship of the space to its occupants.
Are there areas that can be improved in building operations to improve the environment of the employees? Can work areas be modified to increase employee productivity or improve morale? Focusing on the built environment and how it serves its occupants would be a primary service.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Best Practices For Data Center Management