By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2006 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Here in Barbados, most companies have what is referred to as an operations manager. As far as professional development goes, is there a difference between an operations manager and a facility manager—especially in terms of consultants?
A In comparing some job titles and descriptions, I can see several areas where the two positions are the same. However, the operations manager generally tends to be more involved in the human resources area, dealing with hiring and compliance with laws regarding workers and protocols.
On the other hand, I have not seen the same responsibilities in a lot of the descriptions for property management, maintenance, and space planning/management.
Based on these conclusions, the services of a facility management consultant would emphasize the relationship of the space to its occupants.
Are there areas that can be improved in building operations to improve the environment of the employees? Can work areas be modified to increase employee productivity or improve morale? Focusing on the built environment and how it serves its occupants would be a primary service.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities