Tricks Of The Trade: FM Manual
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the February 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What resources are there for the creation of a facilities maintenance manual, including consultants who can do this for us?
Pacific Palisades, CA
A The facility you have will make a difference in the type and detaillevel of a maintenance manual. Generally, an HVAC or EMP engineeringfirm can help with this task.
If you opt to undertake this project on your own, makesure you check with the manufacturers of the equipment you have in yourfacility. Each piece of equipment will have recommended maintenance andservice requirements. These requirements should help you create abaseline of the minimum maintenance schedule recommended for each majorcomponent.
Additional resources include:
- Fifteen O&M Best Practices (pdf)
- Guidelines for Obtaining Best Practice Contracts for Commercial Buildings Operation and Maintenance Service Contracts(pdf)
- Operations & Maintenance Best Practices Guide
These tools should provide assistance in the creation, organization, and relevant material required for your manual.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ