By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the April 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any groups that have a chief technical officer forthe facility management (FM) organization? This person would providehigh level input on new IT developments and tell us how we could bestuse them.
Director, Business Services, FM
University of Texas
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
A Some organizations may be slowly evolving to the functionalorganization I call DIMWITS—Department of Infrastructure Management,Wiring, Intelligent Technology, and Security (yes, DIMWITS).
As buildings become more intelligent (through the useof automated building systems), security is physical as well as cyber,and the workforce becomes more mobile. Consequently, the assimilationof FM and IT may make more sense. Budget money may also be easier tojustify with this “hybrid” department
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- ISEA Seeking Input For Revision Of High-Visibility Worker Apparel Standard