By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the April 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any groups that have a chief technical officer forthe facility management (FM) organization? This person would providehigh level input on new IT developments and tell us how we could bestuse them.
Director, Business Services, FM
University of Texas
M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
A Some organizations may be slowly evolving to the functionalorganization I call DIMWITS—Department of Infrastructure Management,Wiring, Intelligent Technology, and Security (yes, DIMWITS).
As buildings become more intelligent (through the useof automated building systems), security is physical as well as cyber,and the workforce becomes more mobile. Consequently, the assimilationof FM and IT may make more sense. Budget money may also be easier tojustify with this “hybrid” department
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention