By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the pros and cons of outsourcing facilities management (FM)? What jobs or skills should not be outsourced and why?
A TFM covers outsourcing every year, and the June 2007 story, “HelpWanted,” is particularly noteworthy. After reading this article, you should use the onlinearchives of the magazine and read some of the past coverage in TFM.Some articles that come to mind are:
- “The Controversial Conversation: Outsourcing” by Brian Kraemer, April 2005;
- “The Reality Of Facilities Management Outsourcing” by Maria Vickers, January 2004;
- “On Outsourcing: Do We Sink Or Do We Swim?” by Jeff Crane, May 2004; and
- “Great Suppliers Can Be Excellent Business Partners” by Jeff Crane, August 2006.
Thereis also a new report available from the International FacilityManagement Association (IFMA) entitled, “An Inside Look at FMOutsourcing.” This report explains how outsourcing has evolved over thelast 15 years and reviews specific practices such as specifyingcontracts, hiring and training staff, and monitoring and evaluatingoutsourcing providers.
Another resource on thissubject from IFMA is The Guide To FM Outsourcing by Fred Klammt. Thisbook is good for anyone new to the subject of outsourcing, but it mayalso be helpful to those with a few contracts behind them.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?