By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the pros and cons of outsourcing facilities management (FM)? What jobs or skills should not be outsourced and why?
A TFM covers outsourcing every year, and the June 2007 story, “HelpWanted,” is particularly noteworthy. After reading this article, you should use the onlinearchives of the magazine and read some of the past coverage in TFM.Some articles that come to mind are:
- “The Controversial Conversation: Outsourcing” by Brian Kraemer, April 2005;
- “The Reality Of Facilities Management Outsourcing” by Maria Vickers, January 2004;
- “On Outsourcing: Do We Sink Or Do We Swim?” by Jeff Crane, May 2004; and
- “Great Suppliers Can Be Excellent Business Partners” by Jeff Crane, August 2006.
Thereis also a new report available from the International FacilityManagement Association (IFMA) entitled, “An Inside Look at FMOutsourcing.” This report explains how outsourcing has evolved over thelast 15 years and reviews specific practices such as specifyingcontracts, hiring and training staff, and monitoring and evaluatingoutsourcing providers.
Another resource on thissubject from IFMA is The Guide To FM Outsourcing by Fred Klammt. Thisbook is good for anyone new to the subject of outsourcing, but it mayalso be helpful to those with a few contracts behind them.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Intelligent Restroom App from Kimberly-Clark Professional
- Friday Funny: Park Pissoir Prompts Lawsuit
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Demilec Closed Cell Spray System Insulates Farm-To-Fork Restaurant
- Safety Zone™ Sheet by Armstrong
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Handyclean™ Roll Wipes by Diamond Wipes
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Education Case Study: Wellness In Action
- Fastening Systems For Single Ply Roofing
- FM Alert: Free Fire and Extinguisher Safety Training Course
- Facility Management SOLUTIONS 2016
- Safety Netting At MLB Parks Protects More Fans