By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I am currently looking to gain academic certification infacilities management. Michigan State University no longer offers aprogram, and I am not aware of any other colleges that do. Could youplease tell me where to obtain as much knowledge as possible?
District Facilities & Fleet Maintenance Manager
Santa Clara, CA
A In addition to reading TFM magazine, either in print or online, and visiting FacilityBlog regularly, your best shot at obtaining more knowledge in facilitiesmanagement would be to consider the Facilities Management Administrator(FMA) program offered by BOMI International. To earna BOMI FMA designation, you must complete seven mandatory courses plusthe Ethics Is Good Business® ShortCourse™. This designation program hasbeen certified for college credit by the American Council on Education(ACE) College Credit Recommendation Service.
Ifyou feel you have sufficient professional knowledge and experience, youmay opt to take the competency based Certified Facility Manager (CFM)exam from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA).
Both programs are affordable ways to get the recognition you deserve as a facility management professional.
Whilethe Michigan State degree program is no longer offered, there areseveral other universities that still support the facility managementprofession at the traditional academic level. At the end of the 2007school year, Brigham Young University, Cornell University, Ferris StateUniversity, and the Wentworth Institute of Technology had activeundergraduate programs.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- DCIM For Facility Management
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips