Tricks Of The Trade: Cost To Build Out Raw Space
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find information on what the average cost should be persquare foot to build out a raw space? I have a situation where theslab, deck, exterior walls/door/windows, rooftop units, and main sewerlines are completed and in place, but that’s about it. Since I’m notsure of the exact costs, I need something to help me weigh the generalcontractor’s (GC) proposal.
A Two helpful resources immediately come to mind:
- RSMeansoffers several guides to estimate construction costs. Visit the Website to find the guide most applicable to your specific project.
- The Building Journaloffers an online construction calculator which uses the 2004Construction Specification Institute’s MasterFormat. This tool allowsyou to input your own parameters and receive a rough project estimate.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- FM Alert: Is Your Facility Ready For Winter Weather?
- Did You Miss The “What You Haven’t Heard About LED Upgrades – But Should!” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management