By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find information on what the average cost should be persquare foot to build out a raw space? I have a situation where theslab, deck, exterior walls/door/windows, rooftop units, and main sewerlines are completed and in place, but that’s about it. Since I’m notsure of the exact costs, I need something to help me weigh the generalcontractor’s (GC) proposal.
A Two helpful resources immediately come to mind:
- RSMeansoffers several guides to estimate construction costs. Visit the Website to find the guide most applicable to your specific project.
- The Building Journaloffers an online construction calculator which uses the 2004Construction Specification Institute’s MasterFormat. This tool allowsyou to input your own parameters and receive a rough project estimate.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention