By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find information on what the average cost should be persquare foot to build out a raw space? I have a situation where theslab, deck, exterior walls/door/windows, rooftop units, and main sewerlines are completed and in place, but that’s about it. Since I’m notsure of the exact costs, I need something to help me weigh the generalcontractor’s (GC) proposal.
A Two helpful resources immediately come to mind:
- RSMeansoffers several guides to estimate construction costs. Visit the Website to find the guide most applicable to your specific project.
- The Building Journaloffers an online construction calculator which uses the 2004Construction Specification Institute’s MasterFormat. This tool allowsyou to input your own parameters and receive a rough project estimate.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts