By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the November 2007 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Where can I find information on what the average cost should be persquare foot to build out a raw space? I have a situation where theslab, deck, exterior walls/door/windows, rooftop units, and main sewerlines are completed and in place, but that’s about it. Since I’m notsure of the exact costs, I need something to help me weigh the generalcontractor’s (GC) proposal.
A Two helpful resources immediately come to mind:
- RSMeansoffers several guides to estimate construction costs. Visit the Website to find the guide most applicable to your specific project.
- The Building Journaloffers an online construction calculator which uses the 2004Construction Specification Institute’s MasterFormat. This tool allowsyou to input your own parameters and receive a rough project estimate.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades