By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the March 2008 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWhich of the following is not an example of redundancies for mission critical facilities?
a. A diesel generator;
b. Storage for potable water;
c. Storage for mechanical system make-up water; or
d. All of the above.
Michael Del Mastro
Michael Del Mastro, Architect
ABased upon the way the question is worded and the four possible answers, I would select “d. all of the above.” I would base my answer on the strategic use of the term redundancy.
Accordingto the Uptime Institute’s White Paper entitled, Tier ClassificationsDefine Site Infrastructure Performance, “The components beyond thenumber of capacity units required to support the computer equipment arereferred to as redundant. If one unit of capacity is required tosupport the computer equipment, more than one unit of capacity isinstalled. Terms such as N+1 or N+2 are commonly applied.”
Using this definition, the other answers are not suitable. None are truly redundant.
The white paper referred to above is available from the Uptime Institute to registered users here.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Cyber Security In Real Estate