Tricks Of The Trade: Mission Critical Quiz
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the March 2008 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
QWhich of the following is not an example of redundancies for mission critical facilities?
a. A diesel generator;
b. Storage for potable water;
c. Storage for mechanical system make-up water; or
d. All of the above.
Michael Del Mastro
Michael Del Mastro, Architect
ABased upon the way the question is worded and the four possible answers, I would select “d. all of the above.” I would base my answer on the strategic use of the term redundancy.
Accordingto the Uptime Institute’s White Paper entitled, Tier ClassificationsDefine Site Infrastructure Performance, “The components beyond thenumber of capacity units required to support the computer equipment arereferred to as redundant. If one unit of capacity is required tosupport the computer equipment, more than one unit of capacity isinstalled. Terms such as N+1 or N+2 are commonly applied.”
Using this definition, the other answers are not suitable. None are truly redundant.
The white paper referred to above is available from the Uptime Institute to registered users here.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ