The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), in cooperation with The Giant Panda Conservation Foundation (GPCF), has joined the Chinese Ambassador to the United States, Zhou Wenzhong, in announcing a $165,000 donation to the China Wildlife Conservation Association to support panda conservation in the wake the earthquakes that occurred this past May.
“Accredited zoos are essential to the conservation of the giant panda,” said Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong. “We are grateful for this assistance and for the strong conservation partnership with zoos in the United States.”
The joint fundraising effort of AZA and GPCF will assist reconstruction efforts at panda conservation facilities in Wolong and Chenghdu after the devastating earthquakes in Sichuan Province where they are located. These facilities experienced significant damage and the staff has met with hardship, requiring urgent assistance to support their ability to care for the highly endangered giant panda population.
“I am proud that AZA members rose to the occasion to help our international partners recover,” said AZA President and CEO Jim Maddy. “We will continue to support China in this important mission.”
AZA-accredited institutions making significant contributions include: Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park, San Diego Zoo, Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens, Zoo Atlanta, Memphis Zoo, Santa Barbara Zoological Gardens, Zoo New England, and Audubon Zoo.
Through research, education, and conservation efforts, AZA-accredited zoos have played a major role in the Giant Panda Species Survival Plan (SSP). The SSP is a program that develops population management and conservation plans for imperiled species in the care of accredited zoos and aquariums.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation