The Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), in cooperation with The Giant Panda Conservation Foundation (GPCF), has joined the Chinese Ambassador to the United States, Zhou Wenzhong, in announcing a $165,000 donation to the China Wildlife Conservation Association to support panda conservation in the wake the earthquakes that occurred this past May.
“Accredited zoos are essential to the conservation of the giant panda,” said Ambassador Zhou Wenzhong. “We are grateful for this assistance and for the strong conservation partnership with zoos in the United States.”
The joint fundraising effort of AZA and GPCF will assist reconstruction efforts at panda conservation facilities in Wolong and Chenghdu after the devastating earthquakes in Sichuan Province where they are located. These facilities experienced significant damage and the staff has met with hardship, requiring urgent assistance to support their ability to care for the highly endangered giant panda population.
“I am proud that AZA members rose to the occasion to help our international partners recover,” said AZA President and CEO Jim Maddy. “We will continue to support China in this important mission.”
AZA-accredited institutions making significant contributions include: Smithsonian’s National Zoological Park, San Diego Zoo, Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens, Zoo Atlanta, Memphis Zoo, Santa Barbara Zoological Gardens, Zoo New England, and Audubon Zoo.
Through research, education, and conservation efforts, AZA-accredited zoos have played a major role in the Giant Panda Species Survival Plan (SSP). The SSP is a program that develops population management and conservation plans for imperiled species in the care of accredited zoos and aquariums.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention