This guest commentary comes from George Ahn, president and CEO of TRIRIGA.
Cities across the nation are accelerating the implementation of more stringent green building legislation—take Mayor Newsom of San Francisco, for example, who just signed what’s being called the “nation’s most aggressive green building legislation.” If you take a look at the energy platforms for both presidential candidates, you’ll see that nationwide legislation is not far behind.
Obama vows to establish a goal that would make all new buildings carbon neutral by 2030; he also hopes to establish a national goal of improving existing building efficiency by 25% over the next decade. McCain proposes a cap-and-trade system that would set limits on greenhouse gas emissions and force companies to pay for excess carbon emissions.
The bottom line is that green building legislation is coming—and companies, their CEOs, their SVPs of Real Estate, and their facilities managers need to get ready. Rather than waiting for the specific details around “how much” and “how strict” the legislation will be, executives and managers need to be asking themselves, “How do I start measuring my carbon footprint so I’m prepared when the legislation is passed?”
If corporate executives do not have a factual representation of their carbon footprint today, they cannot possibly benchmark for the future and stand up to government scrutiny and audits. As legislation moves forward, all companies will be held accountable for their carbon footprints, so why not start measuring now before the demands are in place?
The problem is that most companies today cannot measure their carbon footprints, let alone say how they will go about reducing them. With the right measurement system—and these technologies are already on the market—the benefits can outweigh the costs because energy savings will kick in and investors, customers, and regulators will stand by companies that can back up their green-building talk with real data.
For more information on carbon footprint measurement visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Best Practices For Data Center Management