Earlier this year, I traveled with several other journalists to attend a high tech event in Germany. While I was on that trip, I met a brilliant man named Brian Chee from the University of Hawai’i at Manoa. In his capacity with the University, Chee not only builds and tests innovative power management solutions for server rooms and data centers, he also writes about the results and shares his findings freely with anyone who can benefit.
Currently, Chee is looking for facility professionals who would like to monitor their organizations’ energy usage through a free, Web based tool. The only requirement is that participating facilities must have networkable power meters.
Chee explains that the goal of the project is to “build a Web based system for displaying both live and historical power utilization. It’s my hope that the project will be adopted throughout the university, including 10 campuses and 30 research institutes. I will eventually be donating the source code to the public domain (open source).”
Chee is using power monitoring devices from a Portland, OR-based company called Obvius, but he is looking for partners using any type of networkable power meters. Sample tables and graphs for the project can be found at the following link.
Anyone interested in participating in this project should contact Chee directly. Here is his contact information:
University of Hawai’i at Manoa
School of Ocean and Earth Sciences and Technology (SOEST)
2525 Correa Road, HIG 500
Honolulu, HI 96822
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention