Maintenance crews are typically fairly attached to their various tools of the trade. It often takes them years to find just the right set of wrenches, screwdrivers, and hammers, so when they do find the perfect one, they are pretty careful about hanging on to them. But for astronaut Heide Stefanyshyn-Piper, gravity got the better of her and her tool bag.
Yesterday (11/18/08), while performing basic preventive maintenance on the gears of the Space Station’s Solar Alpha Rotary Joint, Stefanyshyn-Piper came across a grease gun leak inside her tool bag. As she cleaned up the mess, she turned away long enough for the entire bag to float away. Fortunately, Stefanyshyn-Piper was able to complete some of the task at hand with assistance from another astronaut, Steve Bowen.
NASA mission controllers expressed confidence that the lost tool bag would not be too much of a problem for the duration of the spacewalk.
Mission controllers were also tracking the lost bag, which they say is floating well clear of the station and drifting further away.
Here’s the raw footage of the incident, courtesy of NASA:
UPDATE: Reports say the lost toolbag was a valuable one; estimates put the price tag in the neighborhood of $100,000.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention