Weird Wednesday: Climate Controlled Sand
Forget the flip flops. Just cool the sand. That’s what the developers of Palazzo Versace Hotel and Condominiums in Dubai are planning to offer to their clientele. The waterfront complex, slated to open in late 2009 or early 2010, is currently under construction and will cater to the super rich. And since members of that population are used to being catered to at every turn, a “refrigerated beach” is now being planned.
Hyder Consulting, a UK-based company that provides planning, engineering, environmental, and management consultancy services, has reportedly been hired to design the project. Hyder’s experience in the region includes Ski Dubai, an indoor attraction where visitors can enjoy cold weather activities.
Reports indicate that the cooling system at Palazzo Versace will include a series of pipes under the sand containing a coolant to absorb heat from the sand. Plans also include the placement of giant wind blowers, designed to keep tourists cool on the beach.
As it stands, the infrastructure for a refrigerated beach will greatly increase the energy usage at the complex, a fact that environmental groups may not like. Rachel Noble, the campaigns officer at Tourism Concern in the UK, for instance, stated that the carbon generated by such projects would contribute to climate change.
The hotel’s founder has stated that the project will be environmentally friendly, but specifics remain to be seen. In the Ski Dubai project, Hyder Consulting designed the facility to enable the recycling of “snow” and to run on just the power needed to keep the lights on. So, it remains to be seen what the firm can do in terms of energy conservation here.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ