Tricks Of The Trade: Hospital Expansion Staffing Requirements
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the January 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Can you recommend a good resource that would help me assist a client in planning for additional facilities maintenance staffing? The current facility, a hospital, is 80,000 square feet; soon (in approximately three years) it will grow to 290,000 square feet.
Heery International, Inc.
A Here are some resources I found which should help you and your client address future staffing requirements:
“Estimating the Size and Composition of the Hospital Maintenance Staff” by Whitestone Research Corporation provides guidance and recommendations based on data collected from multiple sources. Formulas are provided that can assist you with actual staffing levels.
I also suggest you review the article on Charles Ayoub, TFM’s 2004 Facility Executive Of the Year. As director of facilities and engineering with St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital in Houston, TX, Ayoub has a story that provides the details of his facilities and staffing, which may be comparable to the expansion you have mentioned.
The County of San Mateo in California has an interesting budget report on its facility operations group for fiscal year 2006-2007. The report includes very good metrics on performance and staffing.
Finally, there is a very specific free report with detailed costs and budgets available from the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers. It is entitled, “A Benchmarking Case Study at Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH: Its History, Its Current Use, and Its Comparison to Industry Data.”
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ