By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the January 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Is there some sort of insulating paint to apply to an existing roof that will make it more energy efficient (for instance, it will allow less hot air in during the summer and less cold air in during the winter)?
T Bar M Racquet Club
A You do have some options when it comes to paint/sealers for roofs. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions offers a product “designed to insulate, seal, restore, and protect roof surfaces. These thick, rubber like, ceramic reinforced paints adhere well over metal roofs, wood, shingle roofs, built-up roofs with dried out asphalt, and many single ply roofing materials.” Details on the technology used in the coatings is available from NASA.
Key Solutions is another option. This company offers FINALCOAT Ceramic, a styrene acrylic, water based elastomer roof coating designed as a topcoat for use over new and existing smooth surfaced or granulated built-up, modified bitumen, spray polyurethane foam, and single ply roofing systems.
In the end, the choice you make will depend on the type of roof you have, its age, and condition. You may also want to talk to a roofing contractor about other products designed for your specific roof type and geographic part of the country.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation