By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the January 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Is there some sort of insulating paint to apply to an existing roof that will make it more energy efficient (for instance, it will allow less hot air in during the summer and less cold air in during the winter)?
T Bar M Racquet Club
A You do have some options when it comes to paint/sealers for roofs. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions offers a product “designed to insulate, seal, restore, and protect roof surfaces. These thick, rubber like, ceramic reinforced paints adhere well over metal roofs, wood, shingle roofs, built-up roofs with dried out asphalt, and many single ply roofing materials.” Details on the technology used in the coatings is available from NASA.
Key Solutions is another option. This company offers FINALCOAT Ceramic, a styrene acrylic, water based elastomer roof coating designed as a topcoat for use over new and existing smooth surfaced or granulated built-up, modified bitumen, spray polyurethane foam, and single ply roofing systems.
In the end, the choice you make will depend on the type of roof you have, its age, and condition. You may also want to talk to a roofing contractor about other products designed for your specific roof type and geographic part of the country.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management