Tricks Of The Trade: Roofing Insulation
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the January 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Is there some sort of insulating paint to apply to an existing roof that will make it more energy efficient (for instance, it will allow less hot air in during the summer and less cold air in during the winter)?
T Bar M Racquet Club
A You do have some options when it comes to paint/sealers for roofs. Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions offers a product “designed to insulate, seal, restore, and protect roof surfaces. These thick, rubber like, ceramic reinforced paints adhere well over metal roofs, wood, shingle roofs, built-up roofs with dried out asphalt, and many single ply roofing materials.” Details on the technology used in the coatings is available from NASA.
Key Solutions is another option. This company offers FINALCOAT Ceramic, a styrene acrylic, water based elastomer roof coating designed as a topcoat for use over new and existing smooth surfaced or granulated built-up, modified bitumen, spray polyurethane foam, and single ply roofing systems.
In the end, the choice you make will depend on the type of roof you have, its age, and condition. You may also want to talk to a roofing contractor about other products designed for your specific roof type and geographic part of the country.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Question Of The Week: Annual Testing And Maintenance Of Backflow Preventer
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Alert: CABA Report Highlights Role of Controls In Zero Net Energy Buildings
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?