Missouri Campus Implements Second Use For Cooking Oil
Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO has announced several environmental initiatives at its 328-acre campus. With a student body of about 10,000 (about 90% undergrad), Southeast’s increased focus on sustainability will make a difference in the region.
One of the measures announced by the facility management (FM) department there is a plan to use the waste oil from dining hall kitchens to heat the FM shops.
Yesterday’s edition (3/12/09) of The Arrow, Southeast’s campus paper, ran a story on the initiatives:
Facilities management is making some major changes in order to save Southeast Missouri State money, as well as to help save the environment. Some of these changes include a recycling plan, energy-efficient vehicles and waste management.
Facilities management devised a plan to use the oil that dining hall kitchens would normally dispose of. The 55-gallon barrels of oil are now burned to heat the facilities management shops, through a waste-oil heater that was purchased by Southeast. Over spring break, facilities management plans to purchase fuel-efficient vehicles that will use E85, rather than gasoline.
“We plan on purchasing two vehicles from Tiger Trucks,” Terry Major, manager of grounds, custodial, fleet and support services, said. “We want a pick-up truck for the grounds and a van for maintenance.”
Read the rest of the article here…
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices