Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO has announced several environmental initiatives at its 328-acre campus. With a student body of about 10,000 (about 90% undergrad), Southeast’s increased focus on sustainability will make a difference in the region.
One of the measures announced by the facility management (FM) department there is a plan to use the waste oil from dining hall kitchens to heat the FM shops.
Yesterday’s edition (3/12/09) of The Arrow, Southeast’s campus paper, ran a story on the initiatives:
Facilities management is making some major changes in order to save Southeast Missouri State money, as well as to help save the environment. Some of these changes include a recycling plan, energy-efficient vehicles and waste management.
Facilities management devised a plan to use the oil that dining hall kitchens would normally dispose of. The 55-gallon barrels of oil are now burned to heat the facilities management shops, through a waste-oil heater that was purchased by Southeast. Over spring break, facilities management plans to purchase fuel-efficient vehicles that will use E85, rather than gasoline.
“We plan on purchasing two vehicles from Tiger Trucks,” Terry Major, manager of grounds, custodial, fleet and support services, said. “We want a pick-up truck for the grounds and a van for maintenance.”
Read the rest of the article here…
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention