The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited A-1 Excavating Inc., Bloomer, WI, for alleged willful violations of federal workplace safety standards, proposing nearly $700,000 in penalties for numerous life-threatening violations at a trenching operation in Weston, WI.
In September 2008, OSHA opened an inspection at the excavation jobsite in Weston after an agency inspector observed employees exposed to cave-in hazards while working in an eight-foot-deep, unprotected trench. As a result of the inspection, OSHA issued six instance-by-instance willful citations to the company for failing to protect employees from cave-in hazards, and five instance-by-instance willful citations for failing to set the spoil pile material excavated from the trench two feet or more from the edge of the excavation.
OSHA defines a willful violation as one committed with intentional disregard of—or plain indifference to—the requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
“It has long been known that cave-in fatalities are entirely preventable,” said Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Donald Shalhoub. “Any employer who is involved in trenching and excavation can avoid such terrible tragedies by following OSHA’s clear regulations. Those who ignore safe practices and OSHA regulations are inviting tragedy into the lives of their employees and their families.”
A-1 Excavating Inc. has received 38 OSHA citations since 1982, including at least eight citations for hazards associated with potential cave-ins, and seven citations for having the spoil pile too close to the trench edge.
The company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director in Appleton, WI, or contest the citations and penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission.
Detailed information on trenching and excavation safety, including an interactive e-Tool, is available on OSHA’s Web site.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention