Pizza Fusion Unveils World’s First LEED® Certified Pizzeria
Pizza Fusion (www.pizzafusion.com) was recently awarded Gold and Silver certifications by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) for its first two restaurants built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) specifications in Palm Beach Gardens and Weston, Florida. This recognition makes Pizza Fusion the first LEED certified pizzeria in the world.
“It’s very rewarding to see our first two LEED projects officially comply with the strict specifications of the USGBC’s building and operational standards,” Mike Gordon, vice president of store development and co-founder of Pizza Fusion, explains. “These certifications represent our commitment to building all our restaurants to this standard.”
Pizza Fusion’s restaurants feature a number of unique, eco-efficient products, techniques and designs. Pizza Fusion restaurants’ eco-elements include countertops made of re-used glass bottles from other Pizza Fusions and manufactured using a cradle-to-cradle approach, bamboo flooring, 30% recaptured industrial concrete, non-VOC paints, energy start certified appliances, insulation made from recycled blue jeans, low voltage lighting, furniture made from reclaimed wood, and much more.
“I congratulate Pizza Fusion on the LEED certification of their Palm Beach Gardens and Weston locations,” states Congressman Ron Klein (FL-22). “Pizza Fusion’s extraordinarily high standards for eco-efficiency make them community leaders in green business. Their forward-looking approach is a model for small businesses across South Florida and the nation.”
In the United States, restaurants are the top electricity consumer among retail businesses, accounting for 33% of the total consumption. Each restaurant produces an average of 50,000 pounds of waste per year. Pizza Fusion’s LEED certified restaurants reduce water waste by 40 percent and electricity consumption by 20 percent annually.
“Pizza Fusion is to be commended for its LEED certification of its Weston and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida locations,” Rick Fedrizzi, president, CEO and Founding Chair of the U.S. Green Building Council, states. “Pizza Fusion has demonstrated a strong commitment to the environment and by achieving certification they also demonstrate a commitment to the health, comfort and well-being of their customers and employees.”
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ