Pizza Fusion (www.pizzafusion.com) was recently awarded Gold and Silver certifications by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) for its first two restaurants built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) specifications in Palm Beach Gardens and Weston, Florida. This recognition makes Pizza Fusion the first LEED certified pizzeria in the world.
“It’s very rewarding to see our first two LEED projects officially comply with the strict specifications of the USGBC’s building and operational standards,” Mike Gordon, vice president of store development and co-founder of Pizza Fusion, explains. “These certifications represent our commitment to building all our restaurants to this standard.”
Pizza Fusion’s restaurants feature a number of unique, eco-efficient products, techniques and designs. Pizza Fusion restaurants’ eco-elements include countertops made of re-used glass bottles from other Pizza Fusions and manufactured using a cradle-to-cradle approach, bamboo flooring, 30% recaptured industrial concrete, non-VOC paints, energy start certified appliances, insulation made from recycled blue jeans, low voltage lighting, furniture made from reclaimed wood, and much more.
“I congratulate Pizza Fusion on the LEED certification of their Palm Beach Gardens and Weston locations,” states Congressman Ron Klein (FL-22). “Pizza Fusion’s extraordinarily high standards for eco-efficiency make them community leaders in green business. Their forward-looking approach is a model for small businesses across South Florida and the nation.”
In the United States, restaurants are the top electricity consumer among retail businesses, accounting for 33% of the total consumption. Each restaurant produces an average of 50,000 pounds of waste per year. Pizza Fusion’s LEED certified restaurants reduce water waste by 40 percent and electricity consumption by 20 percent annually.
“Pizza Fusion is to be commended for its LEED certification of its Weston and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida locations,” Rick Fedrizzi, president, CEO and Founding Chair of the U.S. Green Building Council, states. “Pizza Fusion has demonstrated a strong commitment to the environment and by achieving certification they also demonstrate a commitment to the health, comfort and well-being of their customers and employees.”
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation