By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the March 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Is there a laminating material that can go right over old laminate to reface cabinets? Or is there a paint that doesn’t look like paint and is long lasting?
Becky Clegg, CFM
Oakbrook Terrace, IL
A You have a couple of choices, depending on the condition of the existing cabinets. Paint can be used if the old laminate is prepped for painting.
Several of the sites regarding painting over laminate emphasize the sanding of the old surface, the application of a quality primer, and two coats of the exterior paint. Several sites also warned that scratching of the painted surface will be noticeable, if (and when) it happens.
Another suggestion is to have a finish carpenter glue a new laminate finish over the existing laminate. You will need to use a product with a relatively thinstock laminate. This option may be more expensive, due to the higher costs associated with the material, along with the labor it will take to install the laminate properly on the old cabinets.
In lieu of replacing the cabinets, prefinished doors are also available. This would be a good, cost-effective compromise between refinishing and replacing the entire cabinet.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation