Tricks Of The Trade: Paint Or Laminate?
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the March 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Is there a laminating material that can go right over old laminate to reface cabinets? Or is there a paint that doesn’t look like paint and is long lasting?
Becky Clegg, CFM
Oakbrook Terrace, IL
A You have a couple of choices, depending on the condition of the existing cabinets. Paint can be used if the old laminate is prepped for painting.
Several of the sites regarding painting over laminate emphasize the sanding of the old surface, the application of a quality primer, and two coats of the exterior paint. Several sites also warned that scratching of the painted surface will be noticeable, if (and when) it happens.
Another suggestion is to have a finish carpenter glue a new laminate finish over the existing laminate. You will need to use a product with a relatively thinstock laminate. This option may be more expensive, due to the higher costs associated with the material, along with the labor it will take to install the laminate properly on the old cabinets.
In lieu of replacing the cabinets, prefinished doors are also available. This would be a good, cost-effective compromise between refinishing and replacing the entire cabinet.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ