A family in Festus, MO facing foreclosure on its cave home recently found a way to keep it. In February, Curt and Deborah Sleeper had plans to auction their 17,000-square-foot home (built inside a former limestone and sandstone cave) on eBay with an opening bid of $300,000. But, early this month, the founder/owner of Logical Source, Inc., a New Jersey-based document management company, made the couple an offer that will allow them to stay in their cave. John Demarest offered the Sleepers a private mortgage contract for a 15 year loan.
Now that they can stay in their dwelling, the Sleepers are planning a party to celebrate; that event will be held in another cave home, however. A family friend will host the party in his cave home, which is 5 million square feet.
“I do not wish to forget or make light of all of the people still suffering similar and sometimes worse plights in the housing market,” Curt Sleeper wrote on eBay. “Our celebration is a release for my family and our friends who have shown such concern for our situation. I would encourage everyone to take a break from the stress that is our current reality and relax for a night or a day with one story that has a happy ending.”
Tickets were being sold on eBay (search “Missouri cave house” in Tickets category) for the party, which is taking place this Friday, March 27. Proceeds from the party will be donated to families that have lost their homes to foreclosure.
ABC News has pictures of the Sleepers’ home…
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management