The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International has issued “100 Days, 100 Ways,” a list of tips and strategies to help property professionals make going green a priority on Earth Day and every day. With the office building industry accounting for nearly 20% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, BOMA has committed to making the commercial real estate industry sustainable and energy efficient.
Just as BOMA is dedicated to “greening” the industry, the Obama administration has pledged to make greening America a centerpiece of its agenda. With only one week separating Earth Day and the close of President Obama’s first 100 days in office, BOMA released the list to commemorate a shared green vision with the new administration.
“These 100 straightforward strategies for going green are critical tools any property professional can put to work today,” said BOMA International Chair and Chief Elected Officer Richard D. Purtell, portfolio manager, Grubb & Ellis Management Services, Inc. “We look forward to working with the Obama administration and other public leaders as we continue to make energy efficiency and sustainability a priority throughout the built environment.”
Here are just 10 of the 100 ways commercial real estate professionals can green their operations this Earth Day:
- Benchmark energy consumption through ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager
- Harvest rainwater for landscaping
- Institute a tenant energy awareness program
- Convert inefficient lamps and ballasts to T8, T12, and T5 lamps
- Add composting to landscape maintenance plan
- Hold an e-waste day and collect old printers, computers and electronics for recycling
- Team clean building floor-by-floor to reduce electricity use
- Install solar shades to block heat
- Install bicycle racks in building for tenants who bike to work
- Use low-VOC paints, sealants and adhesives for building improvements
See all 100 strategies by downloading this PDF: 100-ways-100-days.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention