100 Ways Commercial Real Estate is Going Green For Earth Day
The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International has issued “100 Days, 100 Ways,” a list of tips and strategies to help property professionals make going green a priority on Earth Day and every day. With the office building industry accounting for nearly 20% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, BOMA has committed to making the commercial real estate industry sustainable and energy efficient.
Just as BOMA is dedicated to “greening” the industry, the Obama administration has pledged to make greening America a centerpiece of its agenda. With only one week separating Earth Day and the close of President Obama’s first 100 days in office, BOMA released the list to commemorate a shared green vision with the new administration.
“These 100 straightforward strategies for going green are critical tools any property professional can put to work today,” said BOMA International Chair and Chief Elected Officer Richard D. Purtell, portfolio manager, Grubb & Ellis Management Services, Inc. “We look forward to working with the Obama administration and other public leaders as we continue to make energy efficiency and sustainability a priority throughout the built environment.”
Here are just 10 of the 100 ways commercial real estate professionals can green their operations this Earth Day:
- Benchmark energy consumption through ENERGY STAR® Portfolio Manager
- Harvest rainwater for landscaping
- Institute a tenant energy awareness program
- Convert inefficient lamps and ballasts to T8, T12, and T5 lamps
- Add composting to landscape maintenance plan
- Hold an e-waste day and collect old printers, computers and electronics for recycling
- Team clean building floor-by-floor to reduce electricity use
- Install solar shades to block heat
- Install bicycle racks in building for tenants who bike to work
- Use low-VOC paints, sealants and adhesives for building improvements
See all 100 strategies by downloading this PDF: 100-ways-100-days.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.