There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Here some of the most crazy, crooked buildings from around the world. Not so sure about the cats and mice, but one can only venture to guess what it would be like to live and work on one of these buildings.
1. Forest Spiral – Hundertwasser Building (Darmstadt, Germany)
2. The Basket Building (Ohio, United States)*
3. Kansas City Public Library (Missouri, United States)
4. Wonderworks (Orlando, Florida, United States)
5. Habitat 67 (Montreal, Canada)
6. Cubic Houses (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
7. Hang Nga Guesthou se a.k.a Crazy House (Vietnam)
8. The UFO House (Sanjhih, Taiwan)
9. Nakagin Capsule Tower (Tokyo, Japan)
10. Erwin Wurm: House Attack (Vienna, Austria)
11. Wooden Gagster House (Archangelsk, Russia)
12. Ripley’s Building (Ontario, Canada)
* Also featured on FacilityBlog back in August 2008.
Many thanks to Luann Rathemacher for passing this along!
Working on the premise that “form follows function”, the Prada Transformer in South Korea is a shape shifting building that can be reconfigured to accommodate art, film, fashion, and other types of specialized events.
Opened yesterday housing a fashion exhibit, the all white exterior belies its chameleonesque quality. It can take on four shapes— hexagon, cross, rectangle, and circle. Construction cranes lift and rotate the steel-framed structure into different facades and floor plate configurations to create the desired shape. According to the building’s official site, the general contractor, Eunmin S&D, completed the first full rotation test earlier this month.
The Office for Metropolitan Architecture based in the Netherlands designed the Prada Transformer. The firm’s website features illustrations of the structure’s contortions, along with a few interior renderings.
Interesting to see what can be done today!
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices