There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Here some of the most crazy, crooked buildings from around the world. Not so sure about the cats and mice, but one can only venture to guess what it would be like to live and work on one of these buildings.
1. Forest Spiral – Hundertwasser Building (Darmstadt, Germany)
2. The Basket Building (Ohio, United States)*
3. Kansas City Public Library (Missouri, United States)
4. Wonderworks (Orlando, Florida, United States)
5. Habitat 67 (Montreal, Canada)
6. Cubic Houses (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
7. Hang Nga Guesthou se a.k.a Crazy House (Vietnam)
8. The UFO House (Sanjhih, Taiwan)
9. Nakagin Capsule Tower (Tokyo, Japan)
10. Erwin Wurm: House Attack (Vienna, Austria)
11. Wooden Gagster House (Archangelsk, Russia)
12. Ripley’s Building (Ontario, Canada)
* Also featured on FacilityBlog back in August 2008.
Many thanks to Luann Rathemacher for passing this along!
Working on the premise that “form follows function”, the Prada Transformer in South Korea is a shape shifting building that can be reconfigured to accommodate art, film, fashion, and other types of specialized events.
Opened yesterday housing a fashion exhibit, the all white exterior belies its chameleonesque quality. It can take on four shapes— hexagon, cross, rectangle, and circle. Construction cranes lift and rotate the steel-framed structure into different facades and floor plate configurations to create the desired shape. According to the building’s official site, the general contractor, Eunmin S&D, completed the first full rotation test earlier this month.
The Office for Metropolitan Architecture based in the Netherlands designed the Prada Transformer. The firm’s website features illustrations of the structure’s contortions, along with a few interior renderings.
Interesting to see what can be done today!
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management