FRIDAY FUNNY: Some More Funny Facilities
There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
And they all lived together in a little crooked house.
Here some of the most crazy, crooked buildings from around the world. Not so sure about the cats and mice, but one can only venture to guess what it would be like to live and work on one of these buildings.
1. Forest Spiral – Hundertwasser Building (Darmstadt, Germany)
2. The Basket Building (Ohio, United States)*
3. Kansas City Public Library (Missouri, United States)
4. Wonderworks (Orlando, Florida, United States)
5. Habitat 67 (Montreal, Canada)
6. Cubic Houses (Rotterdam, Netherlands)
7. Hang Nga Guesthou se a.k.a Crazy House (Vietnam)
8. The UFO House (Sanjhih, Taiwan)
9. Nakagin Capsule Tower (Tokyo, Japan)
10. Erwin Wurm: House Attack (Vienna, Austria)
11. Wooden Gagster House (Archangelsk, Russia)
12. Ripley’s Building (Ontario, Canada)
* Also featured on FacilityBlog back in August 2008.
Many thanks to Luann Rathemacher for passing this along!
Working on the premise that “form follows function”, the Prada Transformer in South Korea is a shape shifting building that can be reconfigured to accommodate art, film, fashion, and other types of specialized events.
Opened yesterday housing a fashion exhibit, the all white exterior belies its chameleonesque quality. It can take on four shapes— hexagon, cross, rectangle, and circle. Construction cranes lift and rotate the steel-framed structure into different facades and floor plate configurations to create the desired shape. According to the building’s official site, the general contractor, Eunmin S&D, completed the first full rotation test earlier this month.
The Office for Metropolitan Architecture based in the Netherlands designed the Prada Transformer. The firm’s website features illustrations of the structure’s contortions, along with a few interior renderings.
Interesting to see what can be done today!
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.