Members of the U.S. Congress and representatives from the International Facility Management Association met to discuss energy efficiency and high performance federal buildings last week during IFMA Advocacy Day 2009.
Held April 22, the second annual Advocacy Day featured presentations from Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Kan.; Rep. Russ Carnahan, D-Mo.; Rep. John Culberson, R-Texas; Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas; and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart, R-Fla. The lawmakers spoke on issues ranging from energy efficiency and climate change to federal property sales and the role of the U.S. General Services Administration.
Following the presentations, members of the IFMA board of directors met with senators and representatives from their home states and other congressional staff to discuss the role the 111th U.S. Congress will play in shaping the future of the built environment. IFMA representatives encouraged lawmakers to join the congressional High Performance Buildings Caucus to stay informed about the health and safety impacts of the built environment and opportunities to design and operate buildings that are safer and more sustainable.
“Advocacy Day 2009 was an unqualified success. IFMA’s board of directors heard first hand about Congress’ interest in creating high performance federal buildings, investing in energy efficient technologies and promoting education and training for federal facility managers,” said IFMA Director of Government Relations Jeffrey Johnson. “The congressional members we spoke with were engaged and receptive and understand how the built environment impacts their districts. We look forward to working with lawmakers in the future and continuing to elevate the role of the facility manager on Capitol Hill.”
IFMA’s next event in the nation’s capital will be its fourth annual Public Policy Forum in September. Held in conjunction with the National Academies of Sciences’ Federal Facilities Council, the forum will focus on efficient energy use in buildings.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention