In the small town of Webster, MA, the locals are getting rather frustrated. One of the major tourist attractions is getting plenty of attention, but for all the wrong reasons. Webster Lake, better known as Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, which is located near the Connecticut border, has the distinction of claiming the longest place name in the United States.
Unfortunately, some of the road signs pointing to the landmark contain spelling mistakes, which could compromise the tourist trade. After all, what’s the good of being photographed next to a sign with spelling mistakes?
According to the Wikipedia entry,
The translation of the name of the lake is believed to be, “Fishing Place at the Boundaries — Neutral Meeting Grounds.” Spelling of the long name varies, even on official signs near the lake; in 2009, following six years of press reports, the local Chamber of Commerce agreed to have the spelling corrected on its signs, where a 45-letter version of the name arrayed in a semicircle was used. It did not correspond to any of the two dozen variants. (See photo above–correct or incorrect?)
For the record, the official correct spelling is either Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg or the 49-letter option: Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?