With buildings accounting for 40% of primary energy use in developed nations, it is becoming increasingly important to find ways to build and operate them in an energy efficient manner. In recognition of this, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers and the International Facility Management Association are entering into an agreement that increases cooperation between the two groups.
The memorandum of understanding, which was signed last year at IFMA’s World Workplace Conference Expo, calls for sharing resources and collaborating on projects, publications, sustainability research, and educational offerings that will be beneficial to both organizations’ members and constituents. ASHRAE and IFMA will also work together on legislative and regulatory issues through their Washington, DC, offices.
“Engineers and facility managers share an important relationship in creating and maintaining buildings that are safe, healthy and energy efficient,” said Bill Harrison, ASHRAE president. “Now, ASHRAE and IFMA are seeking to take that cooperative relationship to the next level. This agreement strengthens the existing partnership between our two organizations. By working together on issues in the built environment, we can enhance our respective efforts to create a sustainable future.”
“ASHRAE’s indoor air quality standards have long provided benchmarks and guidelines for facility managers to use in keeping workers comfortable, safe and productive,” said David J. Brady, IFMA president and CEO. “In the new era of triple bottom line accountability on financial, social and environmental contributions, the need for energy vigilance and conservation is greater than ever.”
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management