Hospitality company Accor North America has joined the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) National Partnership for Environmental Priorities (NPEP).
This EPA program aims to reduce the use of potentially hazardous chemicals that can result from products and processes, and other partners include 3M Company, Bowling Green State University, City of Battle Creek (MI), Costco Wholesale, The Dow Chemical Company, E.I. du Pont Nemours and Company, EMCOR, GE Energy, Honeywell International, Johnson Controls, Osram Sylvania, Philips Lighting, and PPG Industries.
NPEP is the latest environmental initiative undertaken by Dallas, TX-based Accor North America—whose hotel brands include Sofitel, Motel 6, and Studio 6—to help minimize the environmental impact of its more than 1,000 hotels in the U.S. and Canada. Accor North America’s economy brand, Motel 6, was the first in the hospitality industry to implement a fluorescent light bulb and battery recycling program at its properties nationwide.
“Accor North America is committed to promoting environmental awareness, not only by implementing green initiatives into all aspects of our business model and operating practices, but also by joining the EPA and its partners in their goal to reduce the hazardous chemicals that pose a threat to the well being of our planet,” said Olivier Poirot, CEO for Accor North America, Motel 6, and Studio 6. “We are proud to join this partnership and are confident in the measures the EPA is taking to make our world a better place in which to live and do business.”
Through the partnership, Accor North America has taken on the challenge of reducing mercury in local landfills by ensuring that fluorescent light bulbs used in their hotels are properly recycled.
A number of other conservation and environmentally friendly measures Accor North America operates on an ongoing basis include:
- Participation in energy and water conservation programs including creation of a monthly energy/water consumption report to inform each hotel of their month to date progress in regards to consumption savings, taking into consideration variables such as weather and hotel activity levels (all Sofitel and Novotel hotels since 2004)
- Water saving shower heads and faucet aerators (all brands)
- Faucet aerators replaced with higher water efficiency 0.5 gallon per minute aerators (Motel 6 and Studio 6 locations)
- Commitment to reduce 10% of electric consumption by 2010 (Motel 6 and Studio 6 locations)
- Ozone machines were installed on laundry washers; these machines allow the hotel to wash linen and towels with cold water instead of hot and reduce the use of soap/detergent (all Sofitel hotels with laundry)
- Using environmentally sensitive Ecolab™ laundry products (all Motel 6 and Studio 6 locations)
- Technologically advanced heating and cooling systems to reduce consumption of power (all brands)
- Corporate office recycling program
- Use of ecological paper, including printing 1.3 million directories on recycled paper using Soy ink (all Motel 6 and Studio 6 directories)
- Use of compact fluorescent lighting, which consumes 75% less energy than conventional bulbs (all brands)
- Motel 6 and Studio 6 recognized by the EPA as an Energy Star Leader. Energy star Leaders are recognized as part of the EPA’s Energy Star Building Challenge, a program encouraging building owners and managers to reduce energy use by 10 percent or more.
- Accor celebrates Earth Day each year by planting trees, organizing park, lake and beach clean-ups, and reducing their carbon footprint.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?