Food Bank Furnished
When Boston-based designer Justine Sterling, of Justine Sterling Design, was nearing the completion of a recent expansion project for her client, the Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB), she realized the non-profit was hitting its budget limit on the new warehouse and distribution facility with little remaining to adequately furnish the modest space allocated for the organization’s management office.
In looking for a solution, Sterling turned to colleague, Amy Hill, an Allsteel Architecture & Design Specialist, who saw this as an opportunity to repurpose Allsteel furnishings that had been used for local trade show displays.
Now complete, the Food Bank, which distributes approximately 30 million pounds of food annually has its reception, office, and conference room areas furnished with Allsteel chairs and tables.
“Building a new facility was a daunting task, and most of our financial resources were used for the warehouse, equipment, and racking,” said Kathleen Marre, chief administrative officer for GBFB. “Our office furniture budget was very minimal. Without the donation from Allsteel, much of our space would have gone empty. Our employees work very hard, and providing them with such beautiful furniture really improves our working environment.”
Allsteel and its Boston-based team were pleased to know the donation had such an impact. “The Greater Boston Food Bank provides such an important service to the community,” said Hill. “So, we’re proud to know we’re helping them in their work and, at the same time doing our part toward an Allsteel initiative to reuse and repurpose our furniture.”
Read TFM‘s June 2009 coverage of furniture reuse and recycling, “Avoiding The Landfill”.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices