Green Power Purchase Recognition
Carpet manufacturer Beaulieu Commercial was recently honored with a 2009 Green Power Leadership Award by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at the annual Green Power Leadership Awards ceremony in Atlanta, GA. The EPA co-sponsors the Green Power Leadership Awards with the U.S. Department of Energy and the Center for Resource Solutions, a national non-profit organization. The award, which Beaulieu Commercial received on September 14, 2009, recognizes exceptional dedication to environmental protection through green power commitment. Beaulieu Commercial purchases kilowatt hours of green power annually to meet 100% of the organization’s purchased electricity use nationwide.
“People don’t always realize that in the U.S., the largest source of carbon heavy greenhouse gasses comes not from automobiles, but from coal fired electric power plants,” said Beaulieu Commercial President James Lesslie. “Supporting clean sources of electricity is a sound business decision and crucial in reducing our climate risk.”
In addition to energy conservation and waste management best practices in running its manufacturing operations, Beaulieu Commercial was the first carpet manufacturer to include post-consumer recycled content in 100% of its products.
In addition, its Nexterra® tile backing is an industry leader with 85% post-consumer recycled content. The Nexterra® carpet tile products recently earned the platinum level of NSF 140-2007 certification, the only ANSI certified sustainable carpet assessment standard in the industry. NSF International, a not-for-profit organization setting standards in development and product certification, certified all Nexterra® tile products under the BOLYU Contract, Cambridge Commercial and PURE CONTRACT product lines manufactured at Beaulieu Commercial’s Adairsville and Chatsworth facilities in Georgia.
Beaulieu Commercial’s green power purchase of 9 million kilowatt hours (kWh) of green power represents over 12 million pounds of emissions that won’t be going into the atmosphere. This is the equivalent of taking more than 1,300 cars off the roads or the equivalent amount of electricity needed to power more than 1,000 average American homes each year.
Beaulieu Commercial’s green energy leadership entitles the company to display the Green-E Certified Renewable Energy logo (seen at right) on all of its products and corporate communications. “Beaulieu Commercial continues its commitment to being a leader in corporate environmental stewardship,” Lesslie said. “We’re honored by the EPA’s recognition of our efforts.”
Green power is electricity generated from environmentally preferable renewable resources, such as wind, solar, geothermal, biogas, biomass and low-impact hydro. These resources generate electricity with a net zero increase in carbon dioxide emissions, while offering a superior environmental profile compared to traditional power generation sources. Green power purchases also support the development of the new renewable energy generation sources nationwide.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.