By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any facility management (FM) software packages that read BIM models that are rich in data? We have four projects already loaded with rich data that need to be tied into a FM package and viewed in 3D.
Virtual Building Logistics
North Kansas City, MO
A One resource I found regarding BIM software, practices, etc. is AECbytes. AECbytes, launched by Dr. Lachmi Khemlani in November 2003, is focused on researching, analyzing, and reviewing technology products and services for the building industry. The free subscription provides various articles covering conferences and shows, reviews of products, case studies of firms and projects that showcase the use of technology, viewpoint articles featuring contributions from industry leaders, and tips and tricks authored by experts in individual AEC applications.
Here are a few very informative selections from the archives:
- “atomicBIM: Splitting Data to Unleash BIM’s Power”; and
- “Autodesk FMDesktop: Extending BIM to Facilities Management“.
Personally, I tend to use Visio, since it is very feature rich in terms of its ability to import data. The software you use is determined by the specific needs and requirements, such as size of project, total number of buildings, and other relevant data.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention