By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any facility management (FM) software packages that read BIM models that are rich in data? We have four projects already loaded with rich data that need to be tied into a FM package and viewed in 3D.
Virtual Building Logistics
North Kansas City, MO
A One resource I found regarding BIM software, practices, etc. is AECbytes. AECbytes, launched by Dr. Lachmi Khemlani in November 2003, is focused on researching, analyzing, and reviewing technology products and services for the building industry. The free subscription provides various articles covering conferences and shows, reviews of products, case studies of firms and projects that showcase the use of technology, viewpoint articles featuring contributions from industry leaders, and tips and tricks authored by experts in individual AEC applications.
Here are a few very informative selections from the archives:
- “atomicBIM: Splitting Data to Unleash BIM’s Power”; and
- “Autodesk FMDesktop: Extending BIM to Facilities Management“.
Personally, I tend to use Visio, since it is very feature rich in terms of its ability to import data. The software you use is determined by the specific needs and requirements, such as size of project, total number of buildings, and other relevant data.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades