By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the September 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you know of any facility management (FM) software packages that read BIM models that are rich in data? We have four projects already loaded with rich data that need to be tied into a FM package and viewed in 3D.
Virtual Building Logistics
North Kansas City, MO
A One resource I found regarding BIM software, practices, etc. is AECbytes. AECbytes, launched by Dr. Lachmi Khemlani in November 2003, is focused on researching, analyzing, and reviewing technology products and services for the building industry. The free subscription provides various articles covering conferences and shows, reviews of products, case studies of firms and projects that showcase the use of technology, viewpoint articles featuring contributions from industry leaders, and tips and tricks authored by experts in individual AEC applications.
Here are a few very informative selections from the archives:
- “atomicBIM: Splitting Data to Unleash BIM’s Power”; and
- “Autodesk FMDesktop: Extending BIM to Facilities Management“.
Personally, I tend to use Visio, since it is very feature rich in terms of its ability to import data. The software you use is determined by the specific needs and requirements, such as size of project, total number of buildings, and other relevant data.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security