Gibraltar Airport is famous for two things: transporting British tourists to and from the Iberian Peninsula and its proximity to the city it serves. In fact, according to Wikipedia, it is “only 500 metres (or a little less than 1/3 of a mile) from Gilbratar’s city center.”
Although it sounds incredibly convenient, this close proximity creates problems. Major problems. These problems come in the form of traffic.
The main road that takes vehicles to and from the land border with Spain, Winston Churchill Avenue, actually crosses the active airport runway, so any time a plane lands or departs, this very busy thoroughfare is closed to car/truck traffic. It’s worse than a railroad crossing.
A new terminal was scheduled along with a new four lane road and tunnel that would reroute traffic under the runway. According to the Government of Gibraltar Press Office (May 14, 2007), “Gibraltar can no longer sustain a situation of severe traffic tailbacks, disruptions, and delay every time an aircraft takes off or lands. Accordingly, the Government will divert the main road leading to the north of the runway. This main road will no longer cross the runway at the center, as at present. [However], the road across the runway will remain in place, for exceptional, specific, or emergency use. But it will not be available for routine day to day, private vehicular traffic.”
However, it is unclear if or when the projects will be completed. The original completion date was early 2009. Confirmation of project completion can not currently be made.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management