On September 21, 2009, the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) announced the winners of its annual Campus Sustainability Leadership Awards.
Four of these awards are presented annually to institutions that have made the greatest overall commitment to sustainability as demonstrated in their education and research, campus operations, and administration and finance. In 2009, the four winners, and their respective categories, are:
- Butte College, Oroville, CA (Community colleges and other two-year institutions)
- Furman University, Greenville, SC (Four-year and graduate institutions under 5,000 student FTE)
- University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH (Four-year and graduate institutions 5,000 – 15,000 student FTE)
- New York University, New York, NY (Four-year and graduate institutions over 15,000 student FTE)
Submissions were judged on the following criteria:
- Overall impact of an institution’s efforts, relative to the institution’s size and wealth
- Breadth of sustainability initiatives, especially the integration of social aspects of sustainability
- Extent of student involvement in sustainability activities
- Level of support from campus administration
- Extent to which institution serves as a model for others
The awards were formally presented at the Greening of the Campus VIII Conference, September 20-23 in Indianapolis, IN. To read about what each winning institution is doing in the realm of sustainability, visit the AASHE Web site.
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) is an association of colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada that are working to create a sustainable future. Its mission is to empower higher education to lead the sustainability transformation. AASHE does this by providing resources, professional development, and a network of support to enable institutions of higher education to model and advance sustainability in everything they do, from governance and operations to education and research.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management