On September 21, 2009, the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) announced the winners of its annual Campus Sustainability Leadership Awards.
Four of these awards are presented annually to institutions that have made the greatest overall commitment to sustainability as demonstrated in their education and research, campus operations, and administration and finance. In 2009, the four winners, and their respective categories, are:
- Butte College, Oroville, CA (Community colleges and other two-year institutions)
- Furman University, Greenville, SC (Four-year and graduate institutions under 5,000 student FTE)
- University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH (Four-year and graduate institutions 5,000 – 15,000 student FTE)
- New York University, New York, NY (Four-year and graduate institutions over 15,000 student FTE)
Submissions were judged on the following criteria:
- Overall impact of an institution’s efforts, relative to the institution’s size and wealth
- Breadth of sustainability initiatives, especially the integration of social aspects of sustainability
- Extent of student involvement in sustainability activities
- Level of support from campus administration
- Extent to which institution serves as a model for others
The awards were formally presented at the Greening of the Campus VIII Conference, September 20-23 in Indianapolis, IN. To read about what each winning institution is doing in the realm of sustainability, visit the AASHE Web site.
The Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) is an association of colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada that are working to create a sustainable future. Its mission is to empower higher education to lead the sustainability transformation. AASHE does this by providing resources, professional development, and a network of support to enable institutions of higher education to model and advance sustainability in everything they do, from governance and operations to education and research.
You might like:
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?