(Creepy) FRIDAY FUNNY: Somewhere In The 20th Century
Back in 1985, Terry Gilliam directed an offbeat film entitled, Brazil. Very dark, the film never achieved commercial success. Yet, it presents both a futurist and retro interpretation of the absurdity of administrative bureaucracy—one that still holds true today in many ways. Think of George Orwell’s 1984 with a dash of “Monty Python’s Flying Circus” (the Argument Sketch, for instance), and you get Brazil.
Here’s the opening scene:
Which is immediately followed by this scene:
The underlying messages of this opening for those of you who haven’t seen the film, which is funny in places (“Hi there. I want to talk to you about ducts.”), while being extremely dark and foreboding (“bad sportsmanship” is quoted as the cause of terrorist attacks) is best summarized by the words of ChrisJMoor, originator of the offering on YouTube:
Terry Gillian’s comic masterpiece is inspired by Orwell’s 1984. Set in a shopping-crazed, terrorist-plagued totalitarian state, it extends on Gillian’s obvious hatred of bureaucracy…. It has little to do with the country Brazil.
A stark warning about mass surveillance and personal privacy issues from the days when CCTV was barely existent and personal records minimal and not stored on computers.
The end of the second scene is a bit like today’s workplace and “recreational” Internet surfing (while the boss isn’t looking)…sort of like what you’re doing right now…
It’s one of my favorite films and has been since it first came out.
You might like:
- New GSU College of Law Building Encourages Interaction
- Focus On: Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Question of the Week: What Happens During Mold Remediation?
- Question Of The Week: Indoor Air Quality Effects?
- Grogan & Dove Federal Building Named DBIA Design-Build Project Of The Year
- FM Compliance: Don’t Ignore These Seven Areas
- Energy Conservation, Student Performance Top Reasons for Improving U.S. Public Schools
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Question of the Week: What Are The Cleaning Benefits of Aqueous Ozone?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- New Product Flash: UltraDuty GHS Chemical Labels From Avery
- FM Alert: Is Your Facility Ready For Winter Weather?
- Did You Miss The “What You Haven’t Heard About LED Upgrades – But Should!” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Can I Prevent Bed Bugs In My Facility?
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management