Fortunate participants in the estate tour (myself included) were greeted by Brandon Anderson, education coordinator, who immediately took the group through the grove of massive banyan trees and provided a little bit of background about the estate. (See photo below, at left.)
After the group (pictured below) finished lunch, Anderson spent more than two hours taking the group “behind the roped off areas” (as long as we wore blue shoe coverings or went in bare or stocking feet) in the three main properties: the Edison residence, the guest house, and the Ford residence.
While appreciating the historic, aesthetic aspects of the structures, some participants observed facets of the property that the layperson would more that likely overlook. For instance, one guest asked about the fire/smoke detection system in the primary Edison residence, which incorporated the very early smoke detection apparatus (VESDA) supported by a mist/fog suppression system.
Ed Kosmoski, Jr., R.P.A., vice president of facilities for the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care in Cheektowaga, NY, said, “I really enjoyed the tour. I found it very interesting and was impressed by the overall level and quality of maintenance, particularly from a historic preservation perspective. We have a property of this nature in downtown Buffalo, which is why I found this so relevant.”
Shortly after the golf and tour groups completed their outings, the networking reception began. The evening concluded with dinner and discussion, as attendees, speakers, and sponsors refueled and prepared for the start of Monday’s activities.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation