Fortunate participants in the estate tour (myself included) were greeted by Brandon Anderson, education coordinator, who immediately took the group through the grove of massive banyan trees and provided a little bit of background about the estate. (See photo below, at left.)
After the group (pictured below) finished lunch, Anderson spent more than two hours taking the group “behind the roped off areas” (as long as we wore blue shoe coverings or went in bare or stocking feet) in the three main properties: the Edison residence, the guest house, and the Ford residence.
While appreciating the historic, aesthetic aspects of the structures, some participants observed facets of the property that the layperson would more that likely overlook. For instance, one guest asked about the fire/smoke detection system in the primary Edison residence, which incorporated the very early smoke detection apparatus (VESDA) supported by a mist/fog suppression system.
Ed Kosmoski, Jr., R.P.A., vice president of facilities for the Center for Hospice & Palliative Care in Cheektowaga, NY, said, “I really enjoyed the tour. I found it very interesting and was impressed by the overall level and quality of maintenance, particularly from a historic preservation perspective. We have a property of this nature in downtown Buffalo, which is why I found this so relevant.”
Shortly after the golf and tour groups completed their outings, the networking reception began. The evening concluded with dinner and discussion, as attendees, speakers, and sponsors refueled and prepared for the start of Monday’s activities.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?