By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the October 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What is the relationship between real estate and facility management (FM) functions?
Office Service Supervisor
A I look at the relationship as such:
Real Estate: Responsible for the location of the site, whether building or leasing, and all steps necessary to acquire the site or lease. Real estate will also maintain all leases and manage them for renewals, extensions, etc.
Facility Management: Once the site has been acquired, facilities will work with consultants to design, furnish, and manage the space to allow the organization to perform its core business as efficiently as possible.
A pretty simple relationship, but it works. Smaller companies may not differentiate, due to size. Larger companies may break these responsibilities down into additional functions, due to the number of properties/leases required.
A full definition of FM comes from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA): “Facility Management is a profession that encompasses multiple disciplines to ensure functionality of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology.”
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation