By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the October 2009 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What is the relationship between real estate and facility management (FM) functions?
Office Service Supervisor
A I look at the relationship as such:
Real Estate: Responsible for the location of the site, whether building or leasing, and all steps necessary to acquire the site or lease. Real estate will also maintain all leases and manage them for renewals, extensions, etc.
Facility Management: Once the site has been acquired, facilities will work with consultants to design, furnish, and manage the space to allow the organization to perform its core business as efficiently as possible.
A pretty simple relationship, but it works. Smaller companies may not differentiate, due to size. Larger companies may break these responsibilities down into additional functions, due to the number of properties/leases required.
A full definition of FM comes from the International Facility Management Association (IFMA): “Facility Management is a profession that encompasses multiple disciplines to ensure functionality of the built environment by integrating people, place, process and technology.”
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management