In Guangzhou, China, an unusual method is being employed to deter bridge jumping suicides: butter. The steel bridge in question has long been “popular” with jumpers, and officials have gone so far as to post security guards at both ends in order to thwart attempts–but to no avail.
Stephen Greenwood writes,
According to China Daily & the UK’s Metro Newspaper, government officials in Guangzhou have ordered a 1,000 foot long steel bridge to be covered in greasy fat to prevent people from climbing on the structure.
In addition to the guards, Government spokesman Shiu Liang said went as far as installing special fences with notices asking people not to commit suicide. And every new attempt, successful or not, means several hours of backed up traffic and a wave of complaints from local residents.
The butter however, has seen positive results. Bridge Guard Wong Man stated, “Since we put up the butter, there have been no problems with these attention seekers.”
Liang added, “now we have put butter over the bridge and it has worked very well. Nobody can get up there and nobody who tries ever falls.”
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- HeiTel XOh by Xtralis