This year marks the 10th year that Philips Electronics has been the official Lighting Partner to the Times Square Ball that heralds in the new year in New York City. Over the past decade, Philips’ investment in solid state lighting has helped to marry the Ball’s combination of tradition with innovative technology.
New this year was the conversion of the numerals (2-0-1-0) on the Times Square Ball to all LED technology. Previously, these were not LEDs; however the rest of the Ball has been lighted with LED technology since the 2007-2008 New Year’s event. Philips led the conversion of the Ball’s light source from incandescent and halogen bulbs to its LUXEON LED technology in 2007-2008 as well as its subsequent upgrade to more energy efficient LUXEON LEDs the following year.
Now, in 2009-2010, Philips completes the final step in its conversion of the entire Times Square Ball application to an LED platform. The 545 custom designed, scalloped LED flood bulbs—the Philips EnduraLED PAR 30 Longneck—that light the numerals use 9 watts each, compared to the 40 watts consumed by the incandescent and halogen bulbs previously used, representing a 78% energy savings.
“Following our landmark upgrade of the Times Square Ball to LED technology over the past two years, we are very excited to deliver yet another innovative LED solution that helps to elevate the impact and sustainability of the Times Square Ball through the use of our powerful new LED flood bulbs in the Numerals,” said Ed Crawford, CEO, Philips Lighting North America.
“Global icons like the Times Square Ball are not the only applications that can enjoy the benefits of LED technology. In addition to offering a wide range of professional LED solutions, we are delighted to offer a broad line of LED retrofit bulbs to consumers for the first time, enabling everyone to enhance their life with light through high performance, energy efficient and long life LED lighting.“
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- 4 Keys To Improve Energy Efficiency Projects
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs