By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the February 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q Do you have a quantification as to the costs associated to run a 170 pound Unimac gas dryer for a commercial grade laundry?
Profit Improvement Manager
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts
A Under test load conditions (bath towels on a 25 minute dry cycle), the unit should consume 144,296 BTUs (or 1.44 Therms). There are variables (What part of the country are you in? What is the temperature? What are the humidity levels?) which would impact the drying time, installation, and maintenance of the dryer (lint filters emptied after every load, exhaust lines free of debris and unobstructed).
Using some basic math skills, this cycle breaks into an hourly average of 346,310 BTUs. From there, you can figure out your daily gas usage based upon the hours of operation the dryer is used. There is some electrical usage to power the tumbler, but it would be minor.
Recommendations for reducing operating expenses are provided on Unimac’s Web Site. According to Unimac, energy is about 15% of the cost to operate your laundry, of which drying tumblers account for nearly 70% of all energy consumption in the laundry.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- FM Alert: Do You Know The School Janitor Of The Year?
- AHI White Papers Address Critical Issues Affecting Healthcare Facilities
- Zika Virus: 5 Things To Know, Plus Pest Control In Offices
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention