The list is headed by Los Angeles, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago, Houston, Lakeland, FL, Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, and New York.
EPA first issued its ranking of cities with the most Energy Star labeled buildings last year. This year, Los Angeles remained in first place, with 293 Energy Star labeled buildings in 2009—a total of 76 million sq.ft of space.
Washington, DC moved into second place, with 204 Energy Star buildings—a total of 55.1 million sq. ft.
Meanwhile, Denver and Chicago move into the top five; and Lakeland and New York City are new to the top 10. Rounding out the list at 25 is Louisville, KY with 35 Energy Star buildings, representing 4.2 million sq. ft. of space. A full list of cities on the list can be downloaded from the EPA site here.
Continuing the growth of the past several years, in 2009 nearly 3,900 commercial buildings earned the Energy Star, representing annual savings of more than $900 million in utility bills and more than 4.7 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions.
Energy use in commercial buildings accounts for 17% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions at a cost of over $100 billion per year. Since 1999, EPA has been awarding the Energy Star to commercial buildings that perform in the top 25% of buildings nationwide compared to similar buildings. Thirteen types of buildings can earn the Energy Star, including schools, hospitals, office buildings, retail stores and supermarkets.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Fire Rated Flood Door from PS DOORS
- President Obama Proclaims May National Building Safety Month
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- York Chiller Mobile App