EPA Announces WasteWise Winners
This past March, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognized achievements related to waste management and reduction with its 2009 WasteWise Awards. These awards are given to entities that take part in the EPA’s WasteWise program through which organizations eliminate municipal solid waste and select industrial wastes. Established in 1994, it is free and voluntary to participate.
To qualify, EPA/WasteWise Partners must submit complete annual reporting forms that detail tonnage of waste reduced, associated cost savings, and promotion of the WasteWise program to employees, customers, and suppliers. The 2009 winners are:
The Hall of Fame is the highest honor awarded to WasteWise Partners and indicates a continued commitment to progressive waste reduction activities.
- Kitsap County, WA
- NEC Electronics America, Inc. – Roseville facility
The Endorser of the Year award recognizes an organization for outstanding efforts to promote the WasteWise program.
- Exel – Lockport
The Partner of the Year award recognizes overall waste reduction achievements, efforts to purchase or manufacture recycled content products, and activities to promote WasteWise.
- College/University: Rutgers the State University of New Jersey
- Large Business: Genzyme Corporation – MA Sites
- Local Government: City of Clifton, NJ – Recycling Program
- Mid-Size Business: Frito-Lay, Beloit, WI
- Non-Profit: University of Chicago Medical Center
- School/School District: Dimensions of Learning Academy
- Small Business: FetterGroup
- State Government: Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation/Office of Environmental Assistance
- Very Large Business: The Walt Disney Company
- Federal Government: U.S. Postal Service – Western Area
The Gold Achievement award recognizes Partners’ achievements in focus areas such as climate change, green buildings, product stewardship, and beneficial use of secondary materials.
- Climate Change: Allergan, Inc.
- Community Involvement: Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc.
- Employee Education: Suffolk University
- Green Purchasing: Kohl’s Department Store
- Industrial Materials Recycling: Consolidated Edison Company of New York
- New Partner: Harrah’s Entertainment’s Bally’s and Paris Hotel and Casino
- Organic Materials Reduction: Thurston County Government
- Packaging Reduction: KI
- Paper Reduction: Better World Books
- Product Stewardship: Steelcase Inc.
- Public Venue Recycling: San Diego Padres
- Workplace Recycling: Southern California Edison
Honorable Mentions are awarded to Partners who made noteworthy accomplishments in waste prevention, recycling collection, and buying or manufacturing recycled content products.
Partner of the Year Honorable Mention
Local Government: City of Kansas City, MO
Federal Government: U.S. Postal Service – Great Lakes Area
Gold Achievement Honorable Mention
Industrial Materials Recycling: Tennessee Galvanizing, Inc.
Organic Materials Reduction: Mahoning County Commissioners’ Reuse and Recycling Division
Product Stewardship: Herman Miller, Inc.
Public Venue Recycling: Seven-Star, Inc.
Other posts by