By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the April 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q I have 28 acres of land in mid-northern Ontario and would like to plant disease resistant elms. What can you recommend?
Huntsville, ON Canada
A According to the Canada National Land & Water services, Ottawa is located in Zone 5A of the 2000 Plant Hardiness Zone. The following table of elm cultivars resistant to Dutch Elm Disease (DED) as well as other diseases and pests may be helpful. (This table comes from the University of Minnesota.)
Based on this information, you may want to consider doing a little research on the Park Royal cultivar, which is part of the Siberian Elm (Ulmus pumila) family. This variety of tree was introduced into Ontario and has a history there. Sheridan Nursery has a relationship with this specific variety, which was first included in the company’s 1969 trade list. Unfortunately, it is no longer grown by Sheridan. However, if you contact an expert at this nursery, someone may be able to make recommendations that would be appropriate for your specific area.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation