Tricks Of The Trade: Economic Issues
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the major short run economic problems faced by American facilities management companies today?
Quick Fix Limited
Nigeria, West Africa
A Mentioned on FacilityBlog, IFMA’s Operations and Maintenance Benchmarks, Research Report #32 reflects some of the issues organizations face. Surplus space must be dealt with to reduce occupancy costs and vacant workstations. Utilities are another concern, and facility management companies must address these costs through automation, maintenance, and repair. Even a change in office temperature of 1?F can reduce energy usage and costs.
Being creative in offering solutions will be paramount. Would switching to day cleaning provide energy savings by reducing after hours lighting and HVAC (while still maintaining current standards)? Will sustainability be addressed as a way to implement green practices and cut costs?
Companies outsource to improve their operations through savings and for the benefits gained from a provider with experience in partnering with multiple organizations. This is now the time for these organizations to put up or shut up!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Channel Spotlight: Commercial Roofing By Duro-Last Roofing, Inc.
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ