By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the major short run economic problems faced by American facilities management companies today?
Quick Fix Limited
Nigeria, West Africa
A Mentioned on FacilityBlog, IFMA’s Operations and Maintenance Benchmarks, Research Report #32 reflects some of the issues organizations face. Surplus space must be dealt with to reduce occupancy costs and vacant workstations. Utilities are another concern, and facility management companies must address these costs through automation, maintenance, and repair. Even a change in office temperature of 1?F can reduce energy usage and costs.
Being creative in offering solutions will be paramount. Would switching to day cleaning provide energy savings by reducing after hours lighting and HVAC (while still maintaining current standards)? Will sustainability be addressed as a way to implement green practices and cut costs?
Companies outsource to improve their operations through savings and for the benefits gained from a provider with experience in partnering with multiple organizations. This is now the time for these organizations to put up or shut up!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Lighting Maintenance: LED Lighting Retrofits
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Friday Funny: Housekeeping Olympic Games
- Cyber Security For Buildings
- Site Security: Background Checks
- Services & Maintenance: Key Pest Control Concerns For Facilities
- Hotel Case Study: A Vision By The Sea
- FM Issue: Power Protection For IoT Connection
- Texas Water Dashboard App From USGS
- LED Innovation For Warehouse Facility
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Marriage Of Mobility And Facility Security
- New York Offers Commercial Buildings $36M To Cut Energy Costs
- Workplace Study Reveals Insight On Open Office Layouts