By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the major short run economic problems faced by American facilities management companies today?
Quick Fix Limited
Nigeria, West Africa
A Mentioned on FacilityBlog, IFMA’s Operations and Maintenance Benchmarks, Research Report #32 reflects some of the issues organizations face. Surplus space must be dealt with to reduce occupancy costs and vacant workstations. Utilities are another concern, and facility management companies must address these costs through automation, maintenance, and repair. Even a change in office temperature of 1?F can reduce energy usage and costs.
Being creative in offering solutions will be paramount. Would switching to day cleaning provide energy savings by reducing after hours lighting and HVAC (while still maintaining current standards)? Will sustainability be addressed as a way to implement green practices and cut costs?
Companies outsource to improve their operations through savings and for the benefits gained from a provider with experience in partnering with multiple organizations. This is now the time for these organizations to put up or shut up!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Workplace Design: Four Trends
- Predictive Analytics For “Low-Tech” Facilities
- Employee Engagement: Impact Of Workplace Design
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- Leadership Support Linked To Workplace Well-Being
- Planned Investment In Energy Efficiency Hits All-time High
- Five Safety Tips For Your Facility’s Construction Project
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- Employee Engagement Linked To Workplace Satisfaction
- Healthcare Waiting Room Design
- New School Construction Focused On Building Envelope Performance
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Employees Are Leading Cause Of Data Breaches
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Smart City 2.0: Next Step In Urban Innovation