By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the major short run economic problems faced by American facilities management companies today?
Quick Fix Limited
Nigeria, West Africa
A Mentioned on FacilityBlog, IFMA’s Operations and Maintenance Benchmarks, Research Report #32 reflects some of the issues organizations face. Surplus space must be dealt with to reduce occupancy costs and vacant workstations. Utilities are another concern, and facility management companies must address these costs through automation, maintenance, and repair. Even a change in office temperature of 1?F can reduce energy usage and costs.
Being creative in offering solutions will be paramount. Would switching to day cleaning provide energy savings by reducing after hours lighting and HVAC (while still maintaining current standards)? Will sustainability be addressed as a way to implement green practices and cut costs?
Companies outsource to improve their operations through savings and for the benefits gained from a provider with experience in partnering with multiple organizations. This is now the time for these organizations to put up or shut up!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Four Types Of Concrete Damage And How To Address Them
- Rise Of IoT Prompts Facility Professionals To Invest In Analytics
- Facility Management Critical To Infection Control
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question Of The Week: What Best Practice Boosts Your Bottom Line?
- Friday Funny: The Dirty Truth About Public Bathrooms
- New Vikings Football Stadium First In U.S. With Transparent Roof
- FM Alert: OSHA Offering $4.6M In Safety And Health Training Grants
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Applying Lean Principles To Facility Cleaning Programs
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- U.S. Employers Suffer Largest Talent Shortage In Skilled Trades
- Preventive Maintenance, Proactive Facility Management