By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the May 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q What are the major short run economic problems faced by American facilities management companies today?
Quick Fix Limited
Nigeria, West Africa
A Mentioned on FacilityBlog, IFMA’s Operations and Maintenance Benchmarks, Research Report #32 reflects some of the issues organizations face. Surplus space must be dealt with to reduce occupancy costs and vacant workstations. Utilities are another concern, and facility management companies must address these costs through automation, maintenance, and repair. Even a change in office temperature of 1?F can reduce energy usage and costs.
Being creative in offering solutions will be paramount. Would switching to day cleaning provide energy savings by reducing after hours lighting and HVAC (while still maintaining current standards)? Will sustainability be addressed as a way to implement green practices and cut costs?
Companies outsource to improve their operations through savings and for the benefits gained from a provider with experience in partnering with multiple organizations. This is now the time for these organizations to put up or shut up!
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Technology, Aging Facilities Impacting Education Facility Budgets
- 4 Ways To Avoid LED Lighting Failure
- Question of the Week: How Can I Protect Employees From Zika Virus?
- VARIDESK Debuts Pro Desk 60 On HBO’s “Silicon Valley”
- Lunetta Exterior Lighting By Amerlux
- Spray Kleen Multi-Surface & All-Purpose by Sunburst Chemicals
- SkyBEAM UAV From Tremco FAA Approved For Nighttime Operation
- Infographic: The Healthcare Speech Privacy Crisis
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Energy Upgrades And Renovations: What To Know About Windows
- Energy Storage Solution From Northern Power
- Question Of The Week: Water Conservation Tips
- Best Practices For Data Center Management
- Five Things To Consider When Starting A Predictive Maintenance Program
- ISEA Seeking Input For Revision Of High-Visibility Worker Apparel Standard