Tricks Of The Trade: Lighting As Part Of O&M Budgets
By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How much does lighting figure into total MRO spent for commercial facilities? Is there a further breakdown for lamps, ballasts, and fixtures?
Director, Market Strategy
Philips Lighting Co.
A Utilities make up a substantial portion of the O&M budget. According to government data on energy consumption, the national average in 2006 was $2.32 per square foot (urban) and $2.18 per square foot (suburban). Research conducted by the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) puts the average cost at $2.27 per gross square foot. Looking only at electricity consumption, lighting is the number one user, requiring 38% of the capacity in buildings.
The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) maintains excellent data on the different types of energy consumed. The CBECS has data on lighting used in commercial buildings (including incandescent, standard fluorescent, compact fluorescent, halogen and high intensity discharge). It is available here.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices