By James C. Elledge, IFMA Fellow, CFM, FMA, RPA, RIAQM
Published in the June 2010 issue of Today’s Facility Manager
Q How much does lighting figure into total MRO spent for commercial facilities? Is there a further breakdown for lamps, ballasts, and fixtures?
Director, Market Strategy
Philips Lighting Co.
A Utilities make up a substantial portion of the O&M budget. According to government data on energy consumption, the national average in 2006 was $2.32 per square foot (urban) and $2.18 per square foot (suburban). Research conducted by the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) puts the average cost at $2.27 per gross square foot. Looking only at electricity consumption, lighting is the number one user, requiring 38% of the capacity in buildings.
The Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey (CBECS) maintains excellent data on the different types of energy consumed. The CBECS has data on lighting used in commercial buildings (including incandescent, standard fluorescent, compact fluorescent, halogen and high intensity discharge). It is available here.
Elledge,facility/office services manager for Dallas, TX-based Summit AllianceCompanies, is the recipient of the Distinguished Author Award from theInternational Facility Management Association (IFMA), is an IFMA Fellow, and isa member of TFM’sEditorial Advisory Board. All questions have been submitted via the “Ask TheExpert” portion of the magazine’s Web site. To pose a question, visit this link.
You might like:
- Psychology Of The Office Space
- Webinar: Making Sense of Smart Buildings – 6 Steps to Maximize Investments
- Stadium Maintenance: Would Better Field Upkeep Have Kept The Rams In St. Louis?
- Friday Funny: Super Bowl Time Warp
- Webinar: 6 Workplace Technology Predictions for 2016 – Are You Ready?
- China’s First Green Skyscraper
- Winter Roof Maintenance: Ounce of Prevention Worth Pound of Cure
- New Product Flash: Drone Detector By Drone Labs
- New Shade Fabric Boosts Energy Efficiency 50% At Automotive Facility
- Friday Funny: A Valentine’s Day Look At Office Romance
- Survey Reveals Dirty Little Restroom Secrets
- Facility Executive of the Year 2016: Keeping Costs In Check
- Question Of The Week: Utilizing Universal Design?
- Cyber Security In Real Estate
- Waterproof Your Facility: Maintenance And Water Damage Prevention