Clean Bill Of Health For Stanley Cup
During the week of June 14, 2010, the National Hockey League’s (NHL) prized Stanley Cup arrived at the offices of the Chicago Tribune. The Stanley Cup is awarded annually to the NHL championship team (this year the Chicago Blackhawks), and unlike other major league professional sports in the U.S., a new trophy is not made each year.
The Stanley Cup has a history dating back to 1892, and today the Cup is allotted to the winning team for 100 days during the off season. It is always accompanied by a representative from the Hockey Hall of Fame when it goes on tour. In recent years the Stanley Cup has journeyed as far as Afghanistan so coalition troops fighting overseas could see the Cup firsthand.
Staff at the Chicago Tribune swabbed the Stanley Cup to see if the thousands of people that kiss and touch the Cup when it is on tour have left behind the types and levels of microbial pathogens that could make people sick. Because of the high profile publicity, the Chicago laboratory of EMSL Analytical was chosen to test the samples.
To the surprise of many, the laboratory results showed very little bacterial contamination. EMSL reported that only 400 counts of general bacteria were found — while a typical office desk has as many as 10,000.
Considering the number of people that touch the Cup, it was eye opening. According to the curator of the Cup, it undergoes a soft detergent wash once a day and is taken apart and polished twice each year.
“There are a number of employees at EMSL Analytical that are diehard NHL fans,” reported Joe Frasca, senior vice president at EMSL Analytical. “It was a pleasure and an honor to be able to analyze samples from the Stanley Cup. Our laboratory has been called upon by the media to analyze everything from flip flops to diet foods recently, but the Stanley Cup tops it all.”
You might like:
- The Internet Of Things And Water Management
- Look, Listen, And Learn To Find Leaks
- Top 10 States Ranked in Energy Efficiency Scorecard
- Green Buildings Improve Cognitive Function
- Facility Professionals Play Key Role In Strategic Workplace Decisions
- Survey Provides Insight To Energy Management Decisions
- Friday Funny: 10 Worst Cities For A Zombie Apocalypse
- Webinar: Cleaner Facilities & Flu Protection
- Did You Miss “The Impact Of Using Defendable Data To Assess & Budget For The Future” Webinar?
- Question of the Week: How Do You Support Productivity In Your Facilities?
- Did You Miss The “Smart Buildings, Internet of Things and What it all Means for Your Career” Webinar?
- Question Of The Week: HVAC Coil Cleaning Methods?
- China Wins Its First Emporis Skyscraper Award
- Motorized Shades Reflect Well On LEED Gold HQ
- Five Workplace Wellness Best Practices